Public Transport Access Committee
The Public Transport Access Committee (PTAC) provides independent strategic advice to the Minister for Public Transport with the aim of improving public transport access for people with a disability or with mobility issues.
PTAC is accountable to the Minister for Public Transport.
Current PTAC Membership
- Noel Smith (Acting Chair)
- Rachel Morgan
- Rebecca Morton
- Daniel Ong
- David Peters
- Navneet Rewal
- Karleen Plunkett
- Jenny Sykes
Terms of Reference
PTAC will provide advice on the following:
- Identify accessibility issues that are experienced by people with a disability or with mobility issues across Victoria.
- Develop a process to prioritise accessibility issues including communications with people with a disability or with mobility issues.
- Identify ageing and disability issues to improve access on public transport.
- Identify and discuss the transport concerns of the disability sector.
PTAC addresses these issues by:
- identifying current, emerging and potential accessiblity issues for people with a disability or with mobility concerns and providing advice to the Minister on these matters
- developing a strategic plan to improve public transport access for people with a disability or with mobility issues
- identifying transport and other barriers that prevent accessibility for people with a disability or with mobility issues
- investigating any matters relating to improving public transport accessibility for people with a disability or with mobility issues referred by the Minister
- providing advice on key strategic public transport initiatives and strategies (working groups may be formed on a needs basis to address key issues that arise from these matters)
- providing advice to the Minister for Public Transport and Public Transport Victoria and consulting with people with a disability or with mobility issues, relevant organisations and peak bodies, government agencies and the community
- reporting annually to the Minister regarding performance in relation to the above functions.
PTAC Achievements Report 2012-2014
The PTAC has an ongoing commitment to publically report on its key achievements and has prepared a PTAC Achievements Report 2012-14 covering the two year period from 9 August 2012 to 2 April 2014.
Achievements include endorsement of PTV’s methodologies for prioritising bus stop accessibility upgrades, the Victorian Railway Stations Accessibility Audit, prioritising small scale access improvements under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) funding program as well as the release and endorsement of the Accessible Public Transport in Victoria Action Plan 2013-17 and associated Accessible Action Plan: PTV Implementation Plan.