Authorised Officers

Authorised Officers are employed by public transport operators to check tickets, improve customer safety, provide customer information and help during special events.

They are authorised by the Victorian Government, undergo extensive training and must abide by a strict code of conduct.

Code of conduct

Under the code, Authorised Officers must:

  • provide good customer service to all public transport customers
  • assist the travelling public with all aspects of public transport services which includes helping to ensure a safe network
  • act as a deterrent to vandalism, fare evasion and anti-social behaviour
  • report behavioural and ticketing offences against the Transport (Compliance and Miscellaneous) Act 1983
  • maintain the highest degree of integrity and professionalism at all times.

The Code of Conduct for Authorised Officers is available for download at (link opens in a new window)

Authorised Officers:

  • must display their badge when checking tickets and on request, show their identity card to customers
  • cannot search bags or any belongings of a person
  • may work in uniform or in plain clothes’
  • sometimes work in teams to ensure the tickets of large numbers of customers can be checked quickly and efficiently.

Powers of Authorised Officers

Authorised Officers have the authority to:

  • see your ticket and concession identification where appropriate, even when you have left the vehicle or a paid area of a station

If an Authorised Officer believes an offence has occurred, they can:

  • ask for your name and address
  • ask to see evidence which confirms your identity
  • arrest you until your name and address is verified by evidence
  • arrest you until the police arrive if you refuse to comply
  • confiscate tickets for use as evidence if necessary.

Travelling without a valid ticket

If you do not have a valid ticket when travelling on public transport or refuse to show your ticket on request, you may have committed an offence under the Transport (Compliance and Miscellaneous) Act 1983.

You will be asked to provide your name and address and evidence confirming these details such as a driver's licence.

Authorised Officers will write a report of the alleged offence committed; they do not issue infringement notices or fines to passengers. Instead, they provide a report of the situation to the Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. The Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure then determines whether the matter should be progressed and an infringement notice (fine) is issued and sent to you in the mail. If you have been spoken to in relation to multiple offences you may be charged on summons.

Details on how to pay the penalty will appear on the infringement notice.

The money from the fine goes directly to the Victorian Government, except for a small administration fee which is paid to the operator to help offset the costs of enforcement.

Public transport fines

Passengers may incur infringements for the following behaviours on public transport:

  • placing feet on seats
  • consuming alcohol
  • indecent language
  • forcing doors
  • littering
  • smoking.

Please note: No smoking is allowed on trains, trams, buses or at train stations, raised platform tram stops, tram shelters or bus shelters.

Types of infringements
Examples Fine for adult
Fine for child
(under 18)
Making a journey without a valid ticket $217
Smoking in a carriage or public transport
premises (including train platforms;
tram and bus shelters)
$217 $74
Littering $217 $74
Having your feet on the furniture or fittings $217 $74
Trespassing $289 $74
Using indecent or offensive language or gestures $289 $74
Behaving in a disorderly or offensive manner $289 $74
Interfering with the doors of a vehicle $289 $74
Travelling with part of your body outside a
vehicle in motion
$289 $74

For a full list of current fines, see the automatic indexation of fees and penalties at (link opens in a new window). The amounts above are effective as at 1 July 2014.

For more information on what to do if you have received a fine, visit (link opens in a new window)

Contesting the matter

If you receive an infringement notice and wish to contest the matter:

  • Note that no appeals can be considered until you receive the infringement notice.
  • Write a detailed explanation of the circumstances that you wish considered as part of your appeal (include the infringement notice number in your letter).
  • Address all correspondence to the Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure to the address provided on the infringement notice.

The Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure will:

  • Notify you in writing that your case is under review after receiving your correspondence.
  • Put your fine on hold while the appeal is processed.
  • Advise you in writing when a decision is made.

Confiscated tickets

If you produce a ticket that is not valid for that particular journey, or you produce a faulty ticket, the matter must be reported.

The ticket may be taken as evidence and will be produced in court if required. This can only happen if the ticket is confiscated by the Authorised Officer at the time of the offence.

If an Authorised Officer confiscates your ticket you will receive a travel permit to complete your journey. However, next time you travel, you must have a valid ticket for your journey.

If the ticket you were travelling on was confiscated and still had unused valid journeys or value when it was taken as evidence, you may be eligible to have the ticket value refunded or reissued once investigations have been finalised.


For information about confiscated mykis, call 1800 800 007 (6am to midnight daily).

A ticket issued by or on behalf of an operator remains the property of the operator at all times. A ticket issued by or on behalf of Public Transport Victoria (PTV) remains the property of PTV at all times.


Customer feedback lines are in place to accept your feedback.

Customers are able to contact the relevant operator to provide feedback (both positive and negative) on their experiences with Authorised Officers.

Please understand that reported matters will not be withdrawn simply because you are annoyed or angry about being reported.