Melbourne Rail Link
The Victorian Government has announced the Melbourne Rail Link project, to increase the capacity of Melbourne’s rail network by 30 per cent. The project will also deliver a rail link to Melbourne Airport.
The Melbourne Rail Link will transform Melbourne's rail network to increase capacity by 30 per cent. The project will also deliver a rail link to Melbourne Airport.
The project will deliver:
- twin tunnels from Southern Cross to South Yarra as part of a new Frankston to Lilydale/Belgrave line
- new underground stations at Fishermans Bend (Montague) and Domain
- new underground platforms at Southern Cross and South Yarra stations
- the Melbourne Airport Rail Link, connecting Melbourne Airport to Southern Cross Station and the Cranbourne-Pakenham corridor
- train-tram interchanges at the new underground stations
- supporting works across the rail network to improve train reliability and passenger interchange facilities
- a package of tram and bus improvements to the Parkville precinct.
The project will separate our busiest rail lines to improve reliability and relieve congestion caused by bottlenecks. The project will also enable the delivery of 30 additional peak hour services across the network, moving 35,000 extra passengers.
For more information about the Melbourne Rail Link, visit the project webpage.
Contact the project team
Phone: 03 8392 6655
Email the project team