Balaclava Station Upgrade
- What's happening?
- Project description
- Project benefits
- More information and online enquiry form
Start: May 2013
Finish: October 2014
The major upgrade works to deliver an accessible, premium station are now complete, however some additional out-of-hours work is required to complete platform 2 as part of the Balaclava Station Upgrade.
The upgraded Balaclava Station now includes a new waiting area, customer amenities and customer service office with Metro staff to assist from the first to last train service. Balaclava Station is also more user-friendly and accessible for all people thanks to the new ramps from Carlisle Street to Platforms 1 and 2.
View the video of PTV CEO Mark Wild and Metro CEO Andrew Lezala launching the Balaclava premium facilities at youtube.com/publictransportvic .
Upgrade works will continue around the station as the project team make additional modifications.
Key features of the upgrade include:
- New ramps and stairs and station facilities which are fully accessible to all people
- Provision for future lifts is also included
- Additional myki readers
- Improved passenger information, waiting room and toilets, additional shelter coverage
- Improved safety and security with new Protective Services Officer (PSO) facilities, increased lighting and closed-circuit television (CCTV)
- An upgrade to Premium Station status, meaning the station will be staffed from first train to last train every day of the week.
The Balaclava Station Upgrade project aims to provide a station that:
- is a safe, attractive and welcoming environment
- is accessible for all
- can meet the needs of the future
- facilitates connections between transport modes and through the Carlisle Street precinct.
The upgrade of the station will also complement other local initiatives and development in the area, such as the City of Port Phillip’s ‘Balaclava Walk’ project.
Some additional out-of-hours work is required to complete the upgrade platform 2.
These works will take place from:
- 7pm Sunday 22 February – 6am Tuesday 24 February (medium to high noise at times)
Completion works may be required from 7pm Tuesday 24 February - 6am Wednesday 25 February (low to medium noise at times), should inclement weather or circumstances beyond our control delay the above works.
- 7pm Friday 27 February – 6 am Saturday 28 February (low to medium noise at times).
For safety reasons it is necessary to carry out these works at night while trains are not running and there are no rail passengers at the station.
No train services will be disrupted during these works.
See how the Protective Services Officer (PSO) pod was lifted into place on Platform 1.
Watch the time-lapse footage captured during the Queen’s Birthday long weekend works.
For more information, please call Public Transport Victoria on 1800 800 007 (6am - midnight daily).
You can provide feedback about the Balaclava Station Upgrade project by completing an online enquiry form.