Children aged 3 years and under travel free and do not need a ticket.

Children aged between 4 and 16 (inclusive) can travel on a concession fare and do not need to carry a concession card.

Eligible student aged 17 and over (or younger students who wish to purchase a student pass) must carry a Victorian Public Transport Concession Card.

Holders of the following cards are eligible to purchase concession fares:

More information about concession cards is available in the Victorian Fares and Ticketing Manual.

Concession cards can be used on the following services:

  • train, tram and bus passenger services operating  in metropolitan Melbourne
  • on train and bus passenger services operated by V/Line throughout regional Victoria 
  • and other public transport services operated under contract or service agreement with Public Transport Victoria (PTV).

Concessions do not necessarily apply to CountryLink, Great Southern Railway, airport services, tourist railways, privately run bus services and chartered trains, trams and buses. Please check with the relevant operator before booking or travelling.

Concession cards must be carried at all times when travelling and are not transferable. They are not valid if they have been tampered with or damaged.

A seat may be reserved on V/Line reserved services for infants free of charge. For more information, see V/Line tickets.

Centrelink concession cards – Digital Wallet  

Digital Wallet is a feature on Centrelink Express Plus mobile apps enabling customers to use their smart device as an alternative to physical concession cards.

Please note: Both the digital wallet and the physical card are acceptable as proof of eligibility for concession fares on public transport.

For more information of the Digital Wallet, contact Centrelink or visit