There are three ways you can top up your myki, please click on the links below to find out more information about each:
- Instant top up: myki money and myki pass
- Online: myki money and myki pass
- Auto top up: myki money only
myki money and myki pass can be instantly topped up at:
- over 800 retail outlets including all 7-Eleven stores and selected retailers where you see the myki sign
- the ticket window at premium train stations
- myki machines at all metropolitan train stations and V/Line commuter service train stations and selected accessible tram stops and bus interchanges
- onboard the bus, minimum $1 to a maximum of $20 (myki money only - not myki pass)
- PTV Hubs: At PTV Hubs, a minimum of $1 is required to top up and a maximum of $250.
- by calling 1800 800 007 6am - midnight daily (A minimum of $10 is required to top up and allow at least 24 hours for top ups to be processed)
You can top up as little as $1 at myki machines and myki retailers.
Your top up will be added to your card when you touch on at a myki reader or myki machine after this time.
In some cases myki funds transfers may take a little longer. If you have not received your top up after 48 hours you should contact 1800 800 007 for assistance.
The easiest way to top up your myki is online. You won't need to queue at the ticket machine which will save you travel time. You should allow at least 24 hours for an online top up to process. Once your online top up is processed, the amount will be added to your myki the next time you touch on to a myki reader.
Online and telephone top ups are added to your myki when you touch your card to a myki reader or myki machine. If you do not touch your myki to one of these devices within 90 days of topping up online or via the call centre, your top up is temporarily suspended. You will need to reactivate your top up in order to collect it.
When an online or telephone top up is suspended, any existing value on your myki card is unaffected and your myki remains available to use for travel. If your myki card balance is low, you may need to top up at a myki machine or retail outlet to pay for your next trip.
Your online or phone top up comes out of suspension at least 24 hours after you:
- successfully touch on at a myki reader (requires a positive myki money balance)
- top up at a myki machine (minimum $1)
- top up at a retail outlet (minimum $1).
You will then be able to collect your online or telephone top up when you touch your myki to a myki reader or myki machine.
PTV is currently upgrading its online transaction security systems for credit cards issued outside Australia.
From 31 December 2014, while the upgrade is taking place, credit cards issued outside Australia will not be accepted to top up or buy myki cards online, or to set up a new auto top up service online.
Credit cards issued outside Australia will still be accepted to top up or buy myki cards at:
- myki machines at train stations and tram super stops
- PTV Hubs
- Metro or V/Line ticket offices, and
- retail outlets including 7-Elevens.
There will be no impact on Australian-issued credit cards to top up or buy myki cards.
You're always ready to travel with myki auto top up.
Simply choose your minimum balance, and when your myki drops to that point, the top up value you have set is loaded instantly to your card the next time you touch on.
Link it to your bank account, debit or credit card and you'll never queue to top up again.
Auto top up is only available for registered myki cards and for myki money top ups.
Auto top up is not available for myki pass.
Step 1: Getting started
- You can set up auto top up through your online myki account. Log in and click ‘Top up myki’ on the left hand menu, then click ‘Set up auto top up’.
- We can set it up for you - contact us on 1800 800 007 (6am to midnight daily).
Step 2: Nominating a minimum balance and top up amount
You need to nominate a minimum myki money account balance threshold and a top up amount. Nominated amounts must be between $10 - $250.
For example: when your balance falls to or below $20, your myki will be topped up with $10.
Important information about setting a minimum threshold
Customers using auto top up and travelling in more than two zones (for example, on V/Line commuter train services) need to have enough myki money to pay for their trip before travelling in order to have a valid ticket. We encourage customers to set a higher minimum value so you can always be ready for travel. All myki money is refundable without fee.
Step 3: Nominating a debit/credit card or bank account
You need to provide your debit/credit card details or set up a direct debit arrangement from your bank account. Different processing timeframes apply.
- Debit/credit card: we will set up your auto top up within 24 hours of receiving your request.
- Direct debit from a bank account: activation can take between two and eight business days, depending on your banking institution.
Once processed, we will credit your myki card with the nominated top up amount and deduct payment from your debit/credit card or bank account. We treat this as an initial verification payment and take payment even if your myki money account balance is above the threshold amount you have nominated.
Step 4: Activating your auto top up arrangement – touching on
We will send you an email confirming that your auto top up has been established.
Please allow at least 24 hours for us to process your auto top up request. If you need to top up immediately, see the top of this page for top up locations.
To activate your auto top up, you need to touch on your myki within 90 days.
Once activated, we will top up your myki whenever your myki money account balance falls to or below your nominated amount, so you are always ready to travel.
Important information about auto top up
If there are insufficient funds in the bank account or credit/debit card to cover the auto top up, or we are unable to deduct payment, the amount credited to your myki money balance will be reversed and the auto top up arrangement will be cancelled.
We will top up your myki money balance and deduct payment from your credit/debit card or bank account in the following circumstances:
When you set auto top up on your myki account
This happens no matter what your current myki money balance is at the time.
When your myki balance falls to or below your nominated threshold
We will top up your myki money balance with the nominated amount and deduct payment from your credit/debit card or bank account.
When you modify your auto top up settings
We will top up your myki balance and deduct payment from your credit/debit card or bank account when you change your auto top up settings. This includes when you modify the threshold balance or top up amount, expiry date of your credit/debit card or bank account details. This happens no matter what your current myki money balance is at the time.